Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Turning On Remote X Access

By default, KDE (on SuSE, anyway) turns off remote Xserver access. This means that you can't run an X app on another box (say, hopper) and have the display window show up on your own.

To enable this, edit:

/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/Xservers

and change at least the first line to not have the "-nolisten tcp" option, then log out of X (back to kdm).

You'll still need to point the remote box to yours for display, i.e. "export DISPLAY=yourbox.foo.com:0.0" before running your app.

This is pretty simple, so you may wonder why I'm mentioning it. Seems that there's a file /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc with a line in it that mentions a variable called $DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN. This is set in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, which is sourced right above it. So I set this var in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, and it had no effect. I eventually grepped for "-nolisten tcp", which appeared to be the culprit, and found /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, but changing that did nothing, either. Nor did the file /etc/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xservers, which was just a symlink back to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

As always, Google was my friend, and I found a post that pointed me to the right file, so I'm posting this, in case it might be of some use to a fellow traveler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home