Friday, February 18, 2005

Gentoo Reload, Part 2

My Gentoo reload continues fairly well, with a minor hiccup.

I mentioned that the network didn't come back up after my first reboot into the installed system. I found an old post (c. 2002) that mentioned removing certain kernel options; this is outdated info, as removing those options gave an error message saying, in essence, "put them back in".

The actual error message was "cardmgr[nnnnn]: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices". Loading the 'ds' module (modprobe ds) took care of that, and gave me messages in the system log (/var/log/messages or /var/log/everything/current, depending on which logger you're using) complaining about what module wasn't found. In my case, I had to turn on 3c574_cs and serial_cs, and it worked fine. The only annoyance was that because I had been using genkernel, (which compiles many, many modules), each recompile took several hours. (In my case, several 10-minute evenings, as I made changes, then did the make dep && make clean bzImage ... dance and let it run overnight.)

I'm still left with a question and a curiosity. The question is why the difference between the install and the first boot? (The answer is probably that the installer is a LiveCD, and the installed system is not, but I'm going to ask on the forums to know for sure.)

The curiosity is the LiveCD stuff. There's this post that talks about rolling your own custom Gentoo LiveCD. That just sounds way cool; I could have all my system stuff read-only on the CD, mount drives from other machines over the network for writeable files, and never touch the hard-drive on the local box. (Not sure why I'd want to, but that's not the point, is it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home