Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Time for a Name Change

Well, as posts have been fairly sporadic here since I started this blog, I decided to change my focus a bit, and with that comes a name change. This is now "Dave's Code Blog".

I started it when I was thinking that I'd be diving into Java more deeply than I had done in the past, (about a year and a half ago). After doing primarily Java coding over that time, I've found a couple of things out.

First, Java's a fine language. I mean that without sarcasm. It's fine for what we're doing with it here at work, and as long as you keep it simple, it does its job. As I mentioned a while back, the whole idea of Better, Faster, Lighter is a really good one, and has served us well. Even "lighter" tools like Hibernate were too heavy for what we're doing, and we left them by the wayside.

Second, my heart's not in Java. Not for fun. While it's fine to be employed doing Java work, and while it pays the bills nicely, my heart wants to be using a dynamic language. Like Python, which I know and love, or Ruby, which I started to explore last week, (and will be writing about more in the days to come).

Hence the name change. Ignore the "javadave" in the blog url, this will be where I log the fun things that I find in my coding.

And yes, my heart is still very much in Linux, in case you were wondering. Delightfully enough, Linux has faded into the background for me of late, being something that I just take for granted. No real surprises, no real frustrations, just enjoying the O/S Good Life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home